Why You Say It by Webb Garrison, the fascinating stories behind over 600 everyday words and phrases. I rceived this complimentary copy from Thomas Nelson Booksneeze project to review for them. This book is such a delight to read through that you will be amazed at how much you will find yourself actually laughing out loud. In case you don't understand what it is really about let me explain it a little better. You will find yourself making statements that then you will stop and wonder, "Where did that phrase really come from?" Basically it is about the evolution of words, like where did "Make ends meet" come from, or how about, "Loophole", "Face Off", "Fall Guy." Do you know where all these terms originated? Until I picked this book up I can say that I hadn't a clue. But as I said before there are over 600 everyday words and phrases that will be explained and the answers will surprise you. Plus it talks about how some "older" words have changed into the now generation phrases. So the next time we think the younger generation is talking in strange words, you might want to check out this book first.
By Their Fruits...
21 hours ago













Love it Molly! I may have to buy this book for DH for his birthday. We both love stuff like that. Thanks for the review.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a good one Molly!.. Hope you had a very Happy St. Patrick's Day, and wishing you a wonderful weekend! Enjoy! ~tina
ReplyDeleteDear Molly,
ReplyDeleteI wanted, first of all, to welcome you to Create With Joy! I appreciate the wonderful feedback you left on my blog and am so happy to welcome you into my family of Kindred Spirits!
I had a chance to visit a few of your wonderful blogs and am looking forward to revisiting them in the near future, but when I found this one, I decided to land here as I am also a bibliophile and your reviews are both insightful and delightful! :-)
I especially love your slogan - old or new, it doesn't matter, we're going to talk about them all! I have been planning to add some of my fave books and write some reviews for my site for quite some time now and many of the books I am planning to review and recommend are "classics", not hot off the press bestsellers. So many sites focus on the latest and greatest - it's refreshing to see you share that philosophy too!
Anyway, I am looking forward to getting to know you and wanted to wish you the best of luck in my drawing!
Hugs
Ramona :-)
http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com