Worm Facing Front Small stack of books Scared Worm Facing FRONT

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Could You Have Done This?

I received the book the secret Holocaust Diaries by Nonna Bannister from Tyndale Publishers to review for them.  I wasn't so sure I wanted to read about all the terrible things that happened but then I decided if I wanted to help make sure nothing like this ever happened again I needed to see it through her eyes.  Nonna Bannister kept a large trunk that held a portion of her life that she so wanted to forget, so she locked them all away in that trunk and that is where they stayed for half a century.  She was given a diary when she was 9 years old and that is what started her writing, after that she would write on any little scrap piece of paper she could find and also yellow pads when she could get them.  She wore a pillow tied around her stomach and that is where she hid all of her writing.  She kept them hidden for so many years and then she finally decided to tell her husband about her tortured life.  She was born into a wealthy Ukrainian family but then when World War II started her life started to change in ways she couldn't understand.

This book is about everything that happened to her and her family, the death of her Mother, about a young boy that gave his life so she would be saved.  It is not a pleasant book to read but it certainly will make you open your eyes and realize what all these people went through.  Then I wonder if I could have made it even one week, would I have had the strength and the faith to carry on?  Everyone should read this, it will make you think of our way of life now compared to what they had.  This would be an eye opener for anybody plus perhaps a book that will make us all stop and think before something happens again.

2 comments:

  1. Question do the publishers contact you? I have this one gal who is an agent who is sending me books to read, but I was wondering how you get publishers to send them to you too??? It is fun to get all these new authors.. Debb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

So glad you came by, tell me what you think about this place. I also would like to visit you, where did you come from?