Worm Facing Front Small stack of books Scared Worm Facing FRONT

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What Will Happen To Me?

What Will Happen To Me? by Howard Zehr and Lorraine Stutzman Amstutz is a book that was given to me to review by FSBAssociates for no monetary gain and to give my honest thoughts.

First off I have 3 uncles that are Wardens in the Texas Prison System so I felt like I was going to be hard to impress, but this book proved me wrong.  They interviewed 30 children whose parents are inarcerated, along with the childrens dreams and hopes.  We also have the reflections from the grandparents point of view.  Naturally they want to help with the children but sometimes they are not physically able or financially able to do so.  Our government is there to help a single Mother but there is nothing that can be done to help the grandparents, our government is badly slipping in my thoughts.  I think that where ever the children are staying they should be compensated to help pay for whatever the  children need or want.

Now I know that I am probably looking at this through rose colored glasses but I do think we could help a little more that we are presently doing.  After you read this book you will see how sad and put upon these children really are.  They would like a hug from their Mom or Dad right now--not in 15 years.  I'm not saying that the parents don't deserve the time but there has to be a better way to work on this so we do not get these children in prison in a few years.

In other words I think this book has some great points, but it is sort of a very sad read about our younger generation.  I think it would do us all good to take a few minutes to read through this book and stop and think then read through it again.  Then let's do something, okay?




No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad you came by, tell me what you think about this place. I also would like to visit you, where did you come from?