Worm Facing Front Small stack of books Scared Worm Facing FRONT

Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Chilling True Story

Buried Alive by Roy Hallums is a 248 page book that will keep your attention glued to it from the moment you start reading. Mr. Hallums is a retired Naval commander that was working as a civilian food contractor in Baghdad where he provided food for our Army. He was taken by terrorists that did seek ransom, and meanwhile during his 311 days held there he was forced to endure inhumane treatment and horrible living conditions. He was taken hostage in 2004 and rescued in 2005. I was very interested in this account as my husband is former military and my son is presently serving, my curiosity grew as I continued reading. Although I must admit I did not care for the description we were given of his family here in the states, I'm sure there are others that would disagree with me, but I was just not interested in the entries into his daughter's journal.

I think this would be a very good book for anyone in our country to read so maybe they would understand a little more about what is really going on over there. Can you imagine being kept in a room that is underground, a hood over your head, there is no one to talk to and you have no reason to believe you will be rescued? I think most of us would not be able to handle this very well but Mr. Hallums responds as if he is no hero for surviving, he just did whatever had to be done each day and there was no way he was giving up.

It is difficult to say that I enjoyed reading this book about someones pain and suffering....but I did. It really made me stop and think about what we are asking others to do and could we do the same if we were in their shoes. This is a must read for some truth seeking scary events, and I assure you that once you start it you won't be able to put it down. I read this whole book in one day, and will probably read it again after I take some time to think about it.

This complimentary copy was given to me by Booksneeze to review for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So glad you came by, tell me what you think about this place. I also would like to visit you, where did you come from?